Thursday, June 18, 2009

My adventure In Double Knitting

Ok, so I have been working on a project that is meant to be for a friends daughter. I've altered it from a pattern called the Eclipse Socks which is inspired by the Twilight Saga. I'm making it into a scarf. Now, I had this wacky idea to do the ribbon on one side of the scarf and the I ♥ Jacob (cause my friends daughter is a Jacob fan) on the other side.
First I tried doing a figure eight cast on and work it in the round. But my Intarsia in the round puckered and I have restarted countless times with no satisfaction. I was not about to make this long double sided scarf that I was not gonna be happy with. This is what it looks like:
Photobucket



I posted a thread about it in Ravelry and someone suggested Double Knitting. I'm making a DK swatch now and having to learn Continental knitting all at the same time (I'm a thrower). Here's what it looks like:
PhotobucketPhotobucket



I really love the yellow black thing!! I just used to random balls of yarn from my scrap stash, but they go pretty good. After a few rows I got the whole Continental style and the DK is simple enough.
In order for me to do to a separate design on each side of the scarf I have to do the Non-reversible Double Knitting technique. With basic Double Knitting one side is the mirror image of the other side with colors in opposite areas. With non-reversible DK you can use 2 separate graphs to make to different designs on each side. Alasdair has a great anti-blog on non-reversible double knitting. Its amazing!!! Im super excited to start this technique. But for now I am still making my swatch and trying to get a little more practice. And so it will continue...

No comments: